Adelaide Brighton Cement
Adelaide Brighton Cement (ABC) Birkenhead has committed to a revised version of its Environment Improvement Program (EIP), which has been significantly updated to include further major improvement works to reduce noise and dust emissions.
The focus continues to be on reducing dust and noise emissions. The EIP was developed in consultation with the local community through the ABC Community Liaison Group.
ABC will undertake a range of site works to demonstrate that it will achieve compliance with the requirements of the Environment Protection Act 1993, as part of its licence conditions. Improvements made under the current licence have already had a positive impact on reducing emissions from the plant.
ABC’s licence requires that the EIP address environmental issues raised by the Community Liaison Group and this has proven effective in providing a forum and engagement platform for residents over many years.
The EPA will ensure ongoing engagement with the community continues to be undertaken as a condition of ABC’s licence. This includes the communication of progress towards achieving the EIP actions.
The current licence for the ABC plant at Birkenhead expires on 31 October 2017 and the revised EIP will be in place until that date. Any licence renewal application from ABC will undergo public consultation in accordance with the requirements of the Act.
The EPA issued an amended licence on 10 January 2017 to replace condition 310-201 (which required compliance with a previous version of the EIP) with condition U-583 (which requires compliance with the latest version of the EIP).
ABC environment improvement program
Approved on 25 January 2017 and includes 3 new dust reduction actions (refer to 2A, 2B and 2C)
A range of monitoring for noise and air quality is required by the terms of the licence issued by the EPA. The monitoring is undertaken by ABC or consultants on their behalf. The completed reports posted once completed and received by the EPA.
- Air quality impact assessment, October 2015
- Air quality impact assessment, June 2015
- Air quality impact assessment, October 2014
- Noise abatement project, August 2016
- Noise modelling prediction, May 2016
- Noise impact model assessment - existing residential, May 2016
- Noise impact assessment - existing residential, November 2015
- Air emissions monitoring of release points 4A & 4B, 14–15 June 2016
- Air emissions monitoring of release points 4A & 4B at ABC Birkenhead, October 2015
- Air emissions monitoring of release points 4A & 4B at ABC Birkenhead, June 2015
- Air emissions monitoring of release points 4A & 4B at ABC Birkenhead, October 2014
- Annual 2015–16
- October–December 2016
- July–September 2016
- April–June 2016
- Janunary–March 2016
- October–December 2015
Ambient monitoring program
Environment improvement program
Vibration monitoring survey
- Residential vibration investigation, December 2016
- Residential survey, August 2016
- Ground vibration monitoring survey, March–May 2016
- April–May 2016
- February–April 2016
- Continuous noise managemnt, Rose Street, June 2015
- Annual noise survey, March 2015
- October 2014
- Annual noise survey, July 2014
- Annual noise survey, April 2014
- Shut down noise monitoring survey, April 2013
- Annual noise survey, March 2013
- Annual environmental noise audit, May 2012