Your business has a duty of care, known as the general environmental duty to make sure that only stormwater free of contaminants enters the stormwater drainage system. The stormwater drainage network is separate from the sewage system and it is important to understand the difference.
Paint, solvents, cleaning agents, dust, sand, washdown water and many other listed pollutants must not be washed or swept from your premises into the stormwater drainage system, either deliberately or due to rain or wind.
Information to help various industries and business manage their stormwater can be found using the links:
- Stormwater - Your legal obligations
- Stormwater pollution prevention for business activities
- Stormwater pollution prevention guiding principles
- Stormwater pollution risk assessment
- Developing stormwater pollution prevention plans (SPPPs)
- Water sensitive urban design (WSUD) for business activities
- What is urban stormwater?
- Stormwater and sewage – what is the difference?
- Mobile business operators.