Find A Document:
The EPA is monitoring progress by T&R to implement a series of environmental improvements at its Murray Bridge abattoir.
In past years, community complaints about odour, dust and noise from the facility, as well as moth fly infestation, have tended to increase in the summer months.
The abattoir is working towards meeting environmental expectations and has a program of improvements under way. The EPA has agreed to that program, which began in 2009 and is expected to be completed 2011.
Some of the improvements include:
- treating abattoir wastewater to achieve a water quality suitable for irrigation
- implementing cleaner production measures to reduce wastewater volume and nutrient content
- undertaking rotary hoeing and application of pesticide to reduce moth fly infestation
- developing a more suitable treated wastewater irrigation site to reduce odour impacts
- relocating the holding pens further from the road verge to reduce dust, odour and noise.
Last modified: 27/06/2011 09:46 am