The Freedom of Information Act 1991 (the FOI Act) provides members of the public a legally enforceable right of access (subject to certain restrictions) to documents held by government.
The purpose of the FOI Act is to promote openness in government and accountability of Ministers of the Crown and other government agencies and enhance respect for the law and further the good government of the state. Furthermore it will facilitate effective participation by members of the public in the processes involved in the making and administration of laws and policies.
The EPA fully supports the objectives and spirit of the FOI Act and is active in its endeavours to continually improve records management practices. The FOI Act allows members of the public to:
- request access to documents held by EPA
- request the amendment of documents that contain personal information about the applicant which is incomplete, incorrect, out-of-date or misleading.
A comprehensive introduction to FOI can be found on the State Records website.
Making an application
In accordance with the FOI Act, applications for access to documents held by an agency must:
- be made in writing: you may choose to write a letter, email or use the FOI application form
- specify that the application is made under the FOI Act
- be accompanied by a $33.50 application fee (pensioners or healthcard holders and other financially disadvantaged applicants can apply for a reduction in fees, including the application fee). Please provide supporting evidence of your concession card with your application. If you seek a reduction in fees due to financial disadvantage, please telephone the Freedom of Information Officer on (08) 8204 9128
- specify an address in Australia to which information can be sent
- clearly identify the documents being sought and the matter to which they pertain
- specify whether the documents being sought contain information of a personal nature
- specify the desired type of access to the document, such as a copy of the document or inspection of the document at an arranged location.
Applications or enquiries regarding access to documents and policies, or amendment of personal records, can be emailed or posted to:
The Freedom of Information Officer
Environment Protection Authority
GPO Box 2607
Adelaide SA 5001
Fees and charges
The FOI Act allows agencies to calculate fees and charges for the processing of applications in relation to finding, sorting, compiling and copying documents and undertaking any consultation required.
For the current list of fees associated with processing FOI applications in South Australia, please refer to the Freedom of Information (Fees and Charges) Regulations 2003.
To arrange a payment via cheque, money order, credit card or EFT, please contact the FOI Officer on telephone (08) 8204 9128 or email.