Have your say
From time to time, the public are invited to comment on consultation drafts.
For your convenience publications are available for downloading. To view these, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded freely. Documents are reproduced as originally printed and will contain an occasional blank page at the end of a chapter.
Review of the Oyster Code of Practice
The EPA is currently reviewing the Code of Practice for the Environmental Management of the South Australian Oyster Farming Industry (the Code) which was first published in 2005. The Code provides a tool which assists industry in meeting their environmental obligations by relating EPA legislation to industry practices.
- Structure of the document to reflect the operational practices of industry rather than environmental aspects
- Updates to the Code to reflect changes relating to the introduction of the Environment Protection (Noise) Policy 2007, the Environment Protection (Waste to Resources) Policy 2010, Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2015 and Environment Protection (Air Quality) Policy 2016 which have come into effect after the original Code was completed.
- Amendments to some of the ‘musts’ to ensure they are outcome based and not prescriptive.
- Changes that relate to industry management practices and key environmental issues (such as the placement of baskets across rather than along the longlines, accumulation of organic waste (barnacles from cleaning baskets and oyster shell) which may result in odour issues, and recycling of oyster baskets)
- removal of environmental requirements that are not legislated by the EPA, eg biosecurity, carrying capacity.
- Linking the Code to the Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2015.
The EPA is proposing to use the revised Code for developing a checklist that will complement the environmental surveys currently undertaken with industry. The checklist can also be used by farmers to undertake their own ‘self-audit’ against EPA requirements.
How do I provide feedback?
We would really like to hear your feedback on the changes that have been proposed for the Code.This form can be used to assist you with providing feedback and can be returned via:
- Email (marked 'Attn: Tara Ingerson)
- Post: Attn:Tara Ingerson. Environment Protection Authority, GPO Box 2607, Adelaide 5001
- Fax: 8124 4673
Submissions close on 5 May 2017
Once your feedback is received, we will directly respond to your comments and make amendments if required. We are aiming to have the Code finalised by middle of this year depending on the comments that are received during the consultation process.
Fire-fighting foams ban
The EPA is undertaking public consultation on a draft amendment to the Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2015 to include a ban on the use of fire-fighting foams containing perflourooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perflourooctanoic acid (PFOA), and chemicals that degrade to PFOS or PFOA. The inclusion of hand-held extinguishers will also be discussed during the consultation.
You are invited to attend a public information session to discuss the proposed amendment and to provide feedback on various aspects including potential implementation options:
Wednesday 3 May 2017, 1 – 3 pm
EPA Training Room
SA Water House, 250 Victoria Square, Adelaide
Please register by COB Tuesday 2 May 2017 via Eventbrite
Written submissions are welcomed during this period and will be made available to the public, along with the responses to each, after the consultation period is finished COB Monday 5 June 2017
Submissions can be sent to:
Legislation & Policy Reform
Environment Protection Authority SA
GPO Box 2607
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org (marked 'Attn: Claire Mennie')