Review of EPA site contamination publications
Revised audit guideline released for consultation
A revised version of the Guidelines for the site contamination audit system is now available for consultation. Interim guidance has been prepared to support the implementation of the revised audit guidelines.
A submission response document prepared by the EPA summarises the feedback received by the EPA during consultation in 2014 and 2015.
Site contamination guideline review process
In 2013, a review of existing site contamination guidance was initiated by the EPA to support the amendment of the National Environment Protection (Assessment of site contamination) Measure 1999 (the ASC NEPM) .
The EPA prepared and released the following 7 draft site contamination publications for consultation between 27 February and 21 March 2014:
- a new draft guideline which consolidated and updated several current site contamination guidelines and information sheets (Guidelines for the assessment and remediation of site contamination)
- a revised version of the existing audit guideline (Guidelines for the site contamination audit system) and corresponding updated versions of three information sheets on the audit system
- a revised version of the notification requirements under section 83A of the Environment Protection Act 1993 (the Act)
- a revised version of the information sheet providing guidance on the selection of a site contamination consultant.
During the consultation period, information sessions and collaborative workshops were held with targeted stakeholders including consultants, auditors, and representatives from industry, law firms, peak bodies, local and state government.
Further consultation with key stakeholders on revised drafts of the audit guidelines and the Guidelines for the assessment and remediation of site contamination was carried out in June and July 2015.
The EPA has reviewed the submissions received on the remaining draft documents and is finalising the preparation of revised publications.
Please note that any currently published versions of existing guidelines remain in effect until the final publication of revised documents following completion of the review process.
Draft guidance documents
The following EPA site contamination publications currently remain to review:
Guidelines for the assessment and remediation of site contamination (new)
This draft guideline is intended to describe how the risk-based assessment and remediation of site contamination should be conducted in South Australia, consistent with relevant legislation, policy and national guidance. It acts as a parent document for a supporting series of guidelines and supporting information sheets. The guidance is intended primarily for all persons with an interest or obligation in the determination, assessment and management of site contamination in South Australia.
This guideline is proposed to supersede and replace the following guidance currently published by the EPA:
- What is site contamination? (2009)
- Determination of background concentrations (2008)
- How to determine actual or potential harm to water that is not trivial resulting from site contamination (2008)
- Guidelines for the assessment and remediation of groundwater (2009)
- Environmental management of on-site remediation (2006)
- Soil bioremediation (2005)
- Responsibility for assessment and remediation of site contamination (2009)
- Site contamination: Honesty in reporting (2008)
- Composite soil sampling in site contamination assessment and management (2005)
- Pollutant management for water well drilling (2004).
Notification of site contamination that affects or threatens underground water (revised)
This information sheet provides updated guidance to assist persons with obligations to notify the EPA under section 83A of the Act. Revisions to the publication have been made to reflect feedback received by the EPA on the publication, experience gained by the EPA in administering and regulating notifications and results of investigations into potential failures to notify.
An online toolbox is also being developed to assist in determining when a notification is required and to provide an electronic version of the notification form.
Site contamination consultant (revised)
This guideline provides updated guidance to assist persons in finding and selecting a site contamination consultant to carry out the assessment/remediation of site contamination. Revisions to the publication have been made to reflect the amended ASC NEPM.