Find A Document:
We license around 1,500 businesses in South Australia. Licences set out environmental standards and conditions that those businesses must meet. We also license 4,500 operators of equipment that produces radiation.
As a regulatory body, we set and enforce standards and requirements that industries, companies and even individuals must meet.
We consult broadly with the community and industry to make sure that the standards we set are fair, clear, and easy to understand and follow. When a company or individual is allegedly breaching environmental laws, we will investigate and, where a breach is found, we have powers to prosecute. Penalties can range from on-the-spot fines to court action.
We encourage and support businesses, industry, local government and the community in their efforts to prevent pollution; adopt clean production and technologies; reduce, reuse and recycle materials and natural resources; and minimise waste.
Some business activities can be harmful to the environment. However, industry and the EPA are working together to minimise harm and reduce adverse effects on the environment by using effective systems for environmental management.
Businesses, small and large, have realised significant economic gains as a result, and have taken a step in the right direction towards achieving a sustainable future for their enterprise and community.
- We regularly inspect, audit and where necessary, investigate to ensure compliance with and enforce environmental laws, regulations and licence conditions.
- We work in partnership with local government to protect the environment of local communities.
- Our pollution reporting and information hotline provides a direct point of contact for the public to report environmental and pollution concerns and to obtain helpful environmental information and referrals.
- We monitor and research environmental conditions and issues, providing science-based evidence for our decisions and advice.
- We provide businesses, industries and communities with solutions for environmental sustainability and improved environmental performance.
- We assess the environmental impact of major projects and developments, and provide advice to other parts of government to help them make decisions about whether these developments should go ahead.
- Our Emergency Response Team attends incidents that threaten to harm the environment – such as chemical spills, sewer overflows and illegal dumping. They provide expert technical advice to limit damage to the environment.
- The EPA Illegal Dumping Unit identifies, investigates and stops illegal waste activities using intelligence, covert surveillance and other investigative techniques.
- We provide our Minister and other state government departments and agencies with advice on environmental matters, issues and trends.
Last modified: 08/04/2013 11:02 am