Radiation Protection Committee
The Radiation Protection Committee is an expert advisory body established under section 8 of the Radiation Protection and Control Act 2021 (RPC Act).
The committee comprises 9 members and 9 deputy members. Members are appointed by the Governor.
The functions of the committee as specified in section 10 of the RPC Act are as follows:
- To advise the Minister and the EPA in relation to the formulation of regulations, codes, and standards under this Act.
- To provide technical advice on radiation protection and safety relating to human health and the environment.
- To provide technical advice on matters related to the application or use of radiation for medical purposes.
- To investigate and report on any other matters relevant to the administration of the Act at the request of the Minister or the EPA, or of its own motion.
The committee advises the Minister and the EPA on all aspects of radiation protection in medical, industrial, scientific and public uses of ionising and non-ionising radiation, and meets approximately every quarter.
Collectively committee members possess expert knowledge and experience in the following fields:
- radiology and diagnostic radiology
- nuclear medicine
- radiation oncology and radiotherapy
- industrial and scientific uses of radiation
- health and medical physics
- environmental science
- public health.
The committee has been appointed for a 3-year term commencing from 9 March 2023 to 8 March 2026.
|Presiding Member||Mr Keith Baldry
Director Science and Systems, EPA
|Deputy Presiding Member||Prof Pamela Sykes
Emeritus Professor, Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, Flinders University
|Member||Prof Nigel A Spooner
Head, Environmental Luminescence Group, University of Adelaide
Professor, Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing, University of Adelaide
Senior Research Scientist, Weapons and Combat Systems Division, Defence Science and Technology Group, Department of Defence
|Member||Mr Peter (Jim) Hondros
Director & Principal Consultant, JRHC Enterprises Pty Ltd
Dr Michelle Nottage
|Member||Ms Kathryn Levingstone
Director, Integrated Environmental Services
Ongoing radiation safety & uranium mining expert roles, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
|Member||Dr Charlotte Sale
Director of Radiation Therapy, Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN) SA Health
|Member||Prof Nicola Spurrier
Representative for the Minister of Health
Chief Public Health Officer, SA Health
Paediatrician & Public Health Physician
|Deputy Member||Dr Chris Lease
Deputy Member to Prof Spurrier
Deputy Chief Public Health Officer, SA Health
Executive Director, Health Protection and Licensing Services, SA Health