National Environment Protection (Assessment of Site Contamination) Measure 1999
The National Environment Protection (Assessment of Site Contamination) Measure 1999 (the ASC NEPM) is the national guidance document for the assessment of site contamination in Australia.
All assessments of site contamination in South Australia are expected to be done in accordance with the recommended process and guidance provided in the ASC NEPM. Guidance on how to apply the ASC NEPM in the context of current EPA guidance has been prepared to assist consultants and auditors.
The purpose of the ASC NEPM is to establish a nationally consistent approach for the assessment of site contamination to ensure sound environmental management practices are adopted by the community, including regulators, site assessors, site contamination consultants, auditors, landowners, developers and industry parties.
The desired outcome of the ASC NEPM is to provide adequate protection of human health and the environment, where contamination has occurred, through the development of an efficient and effective national approach to environmental site assessment.
The ASC NEPM contains the following Schedules:
Schedule A: a flow chart that outlines the recommended process for the assessment of site contamination; and
Schedule B: guidelines for the assessment of site contamination including:
- B1: Guideline on investigation levels for soil & groundwater
- B2: Guideline on site characterisation
- B3: Guideline on laboratory analysis of potentially contaminated soils
- B4: Guideline on site-specific health risk assessments
- B5a: Guideline on ecological risk assessments
- B5b: Guideline on methodology to derive EILs
- B5c: Guideline on soil quality guidelines
- B6: Guideline on risk based assessment on groundwater contamination
- B7: Guideline on health-based investigation levels (plus appendices: B7a1, B7a2, B7a3, B7a4, B7a5, B7b, B7c)
- B8: Guideline on community engagement & risk communication
- B9: Guideline on competencies & acceptance of environmental auditors
The ASC NEPM and schedules are available for download through the National Environment Protection Council (NEPC) website. The ASC NEPM Toolbox contains additional information including calculators, spreadsheets and other supporting documents to assist with application of the amended ASC NEPM.
If you have any questions regarding the amended ASC NEPM, contact the Site Contamination Branch on 8204 9934.