An EPA assessment area may be identified where information on site contamination shows the need for potential risks to human health to be assessed.
Responsibility for site contamination is assigned according to the ‘polluter pays’ principle. Where there is a liable person, the EPA’s role is to regulate the person to undertake the work and ensure they engage with the community. Where there is no person liable to undertake the work, the EPA will conduct the environmental assessment and engage with all affected owners and occupiers of the land in an EPA assessment area.
Information on large assessment areas is available from the links below. For information on smaller sites, please contact the EPA on (08) 8204 2004.
Recent assessment areas
- Albert Park – EPA
- Allenby Gardens and Flinders Park – Riverside Park
- Beverley and Woodville South – EPA
- Central Edwardstown – Bridgestone
- Clovelly Park–Mitchell Park (including Tonsley) – Renewal SA
- Edwardstown–South Plympton – Hill Industries
- Elizabeth – General Motors Holden
- Hendon industrial area – EPA and liable persons
- Keswick, Forestville, Ashford, Everard Park, Wayville and Mile End South – EPA and liable persons
- Marleston – Orica
- Pasadena – EPA and liable persons
- South-Eastern Edwardstown – EPA
- Woodville – EPA
- Woodville North – EPA
Older assessment areas
Groundwater prohibition areas
If you have any questions please contact the Site Contamination Branch on (08) 8204 9934.