Lightburn and Co Ltd (Lightburn) operated at a site on Morphett Road in Novar Gardens from 1946 to 1986, manufacturing a variety of products. As a result of these activities, 'prescribed wastes' comprising paint residues (nitrocellulose), perchloroethylene (PCE) and kerosene were produced, for which Lightburn was issued a licence by the South Australian Waste Management Commission, under the now repealed Waste Management Commission Act 1979.
Following a review of the Waste Management Commission files held by the EPA in January 2006, it was discovered that a portion of the area of land previously occupied by Lightburn was not flagged to the Land Title Office (LTO) for notification that the land had previously been used for a licensed activity, under the requirements of the Regulations under the Land and Business (Sale and Conveyancing) Act 1994 (LBSC Act).
Based on this information, the EPA considered that further investigation of this matter was warranted, through site history and targeted soil sampling works.
- Lightburn and Company Limited Factory Site – chronology, January 2006