Codes of practice
These codes of practice are linked to the Environment Protection Water Quality Policy 2015. The requirements outlined in these codes will then be enforceable by the issuing of an EPO under section 93 of the Environment Protection Act 1993. Failure to comply with an order is a breach of the Act. Future links to other environment protection policies, such as air and waste, may be created.
- Aquifer storage and recovery
- Environmental management of the South Australian abalone aquaculture industry
- Environmental management of the South Australian oyster farming industry
- Materials handling on wharves
- Milking shed effluent
- Vessel and facility management (marine and inland waters)
- Wastewater overflow management
- Wastewater incident notification and communication protocol
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention codes of practice: Building and construction industry and Local, state and federal government.
- Animal processing works
- Bunding and spill management
- Contingency Plans – a guide for wastewater producers and wastewater treatment plant operators
- Dredge guideline
- Environmental and planning assessment of winery and ancillary development in the Mount Lofty Ranges Watershed
- Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2015
- Guidelines for establishment and operation of cattle feedlots in South Australia
- Evaluation distances for effective air quality and noise management
- Milking shed effluent and the Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2003
- Milking shed effluent management in the Mount Lofty Ranges Watershed
- Nutrient movement through SA soil
- Reclaimed water irrigation of pasture for grazing of cattle and pigs
- Regulatory monitoring and testing: Groundwater sampling
- Regulatory monitoring and testing: Monitoring plan requirements
- Regulatory monitoring and testing: Reporting requirements
- Wastewater lagoon construction | Risk assessment matrix
- Wastewater irrigation management plan (WIMP) – a drafting guide for wastewater irrigators
- Wineries and distilleries
Other relevant publications
- National Environmental Guidelines for Piggeries, Australian Pork Limited
- NWQMS Australian Guidelines for Water Recycling
- PIRSA Manual for Spreading Nutrient-Rich Wastes on Agricultural Land
- National Water Quality Management Strategy Guidelines (for information only)
Drafts under development
Code of practice for industrial, retail and commercial sites
This code of practice provides direction for stormwater management for agricultural, industrial, retail and commercial businesses, including mobile operators and businesses using rental properties.
Stormwater discharge to groundwater
This code of practice requires proponents to manage risks associated with stormwater disposal to groundwater in accordance with the Draft National Guidelines for Recycling Water. Requirements include developing a risk assessment, risk management protocols, monitoring requirements and self audits.
Managed aquifer recharge
- Ambient water quality of Boston and Proper Bays, Port Lincoln 1997–2008
- Ambient water quality monitoring of the Gulf St Vincent metropolitan bathing waters February 1995–December 1996, Report 1
- Ambient water quality monitoring of the Gulf St Vincent metropolitan coastal waters 1995–2002, Report 2
- Ambient water quality monitoring of Lake Alexandrina and Lake Albert
- Ambient water quality of Nepean Bay, Kangaroo Island: Report No. 1: 1999–2004
- Ambient water quality monitoring of the Port River estuary 1995–96
- Ambient water quality monitoring of the Port River estuary 1995–2000
- Ambient water quality monitoring of the River Murray 1990–99 Report No. 1
- Ambient water quality monitoring of the South Australia's rivers and streams (chemical and physical quality) Report No. 1
Turner DJ, Kildea T and Murray-Jones S 2006, Part 1: Background review and rationale for the development of the monitoring program.
Turner DJ, Kildea T and Westphalen, G 2007, Part 2: Status of selected South Australian reefs based on the results of the 2005 survey.
Turner DJ, Brook J and Murray-Jones S 2006, Part 3: An evaluation of the potential for the community to undertake environmental monitoring of temperate reef habitats: A review of the South Australian Reef watch program.
Collings G, Bryars S, Turner D, Brook J and Theil M 2008, Part 4: Assessment of community reef monitoring and status of selected South Australian reefs based on the results of the 2007 surveys