Freedom of Information (FOI)
The Freedom of Information Act 1991 (the FOI Act) provides members of the public a legally enforceable right of access (subject to certain restrictions) to documents held by government.
The purpose of the FOI Act is to promote openness in government and accountability of Ministers of the Crown and other government agencies and enhance respect for the law and further the good government of the state. Furthermore it will facilitate effective participation by members of the public in the processes involved in the making and administration of laws and policies.
The EPA fully supports the objectives and spirit of the FOI Act and is active in its endeavours to continually improve records management practices. The FOI Act allows members of the public to:
- request access to documents held by EPA
- request the amendment of documents that contain personal information about the applicant which is incomplete, incorrect, out-of-date or misleading.
A comprehensive introduction to FOI can be found on the State Records website.
Making an application
In accordance with the FOI Act, applications for access to documents held by an agency must:
- be made in writing
- specify that the application is made under the FOI Act
- be accompanied by a $35 application fee (pensioners or healthcard holders and other financially disadvantaged applicants can apply for a reduction in fees, including the application fee). Please provide supporting evidence of your concession card with your application. If you seek a reduction in fees due to financial disadvantage, please telephone the Freedom of Information Officer on (08) 8204 9128
- specify an address in Australia to which information can be sent
- clearly identify the documents being sought and the matter to which they pertain
- specify whether the documents being sought contain information of a personal nature
- specify the desired type of access to the document, such as a copy of the document or inspection of the document at an arranged location.
Applications or enquiries regarding access to documents and policies, or amendment of personal records, can be via:
Fees and charges
The FOI Act allows agencies to calculate fees and charges for the processing of applications in relation to finding, sorting, compiling and copying documents and undertaking any consultation required.
For the current list of fees associated with processing FOI applications in South Australia, please refer to the Freedom of Information (Fees and Charges) Regulations 2003.
To arrange a payment via cheque, money order, credit card or EFT, please contact the FOI Officer on telephone (08) 8204 9128 or email.
The Government has committed to the establishment of disclosure logs for all state government agencies to provide central access to non-personal information that has been released under the Freedom of Information Act 1991 (FOI Act).
Release of information through disclosure logs complements the Premier and Cabinet Circular PC035 – Proactive Disclosure of Regularly Requested Information and supports transparency and accountability of the government. Further information about PC045 – Disclosure logs for non-personal information released through FOI is available from the Department of the Premier and Cabinet.
PC045 requires the agency to publish a disclosure log on its website. The disclosure log lists information that has been released by the agency in response to a request for access to information under the FOI Act received after 1 October 2017.
Under this policy, agencies are required to make available on their websites, information and documents that have already been disclosed to an FOI applicant that:
- are not related to the personal affairs of an individual; and
- could not be claimed as exempt documents/material pursuant to Schedule 1 of the FOI Act, when being publicly released; and
- could not be considered defamatory or a breach of confidentiality or reasonably be anticipated to cause harm to a person.
In some cases, some documents may be deemed as too large and therefore unreasonable to upload online. In these cases a copy of the determination may be available by contacting the agency FOI officer directly.
A charge may be imposed to reimburse the EPA for the cost incurred in copying or reproducing the information or sending it to you. You will be notified if any charge is payable and if payable, you will be required to pay the charge before the information is provided.
For further information or enquiries regarding information in this disclosure log please contact the FOI Officer on (08) 8204 9128 or by email.
Disclosure logs are updated monthly.
------------------There are currently no disclosures---------------------------------
Date of determination
Copy of or link to document (or advice about how to access document)